Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My first few days

It's really hard here, because I miss my friends so much. I feel like running away and just going home in secret. I really want to see my friends again. I'm glad we have phones and blogs. When I got to Russia and I looked out through the airplane window, my heart felt as if it would sink down to my toes. I couldn't beleive I was actually in the world's biggest country. I couldn't beleive I was staying here. It was so hard to beleive that everything was Russian. As I got into the airport, it felt so hard to understand that we weren't going back. It felt as if my heart would break.

Sure, with my Russian, I was a little clumsy, and I smiled some. But I am learning to understand that Russia is not like America. The way I'm getting used to it is in our apartment. For when you walk in the building, you walk into this smelly and very dirty door. I was sure our place would be so dirty, you would not be able to sit down in comfort. So as you walk up the stairs, the stairs are very very dirty. You can't even sit down and not have a body full of dirt. The railing is chipped; the windows are filthy. The only nice thing about it is the window at our floor. It's all flowery - pictures of flowers at the top. It makes it seem a little like home. Otherwise, there is nothing about the stairway that seems like home.

As you walk into our apartment, you have to use keys. The keys are much different from America's keys. They way you walk in is different. You walk in to this very big door, and you use a key to get through it. They you see two more doors in front of you. One is our neighbors; the other is ours. It is surpising when you walk into our apartment - surprisingly furnished and very clean. It isn't like the stairs, which I am very glad for. The first thing you do when you walk into a Russian apartment is come into a tiny little mud room where you have to take off your shoes. Then you walk into (in ours) the study part. Then, if you keep going, you come to a fork. Two doors are in front of you again: my room and the boys' room. I am very glad I have a room by myself. It makes me feel like we are at home again.

My room has a broken bulb. My doorway has a chinup bar - very nice sometimes. Then you walk into my room and right beside you is a little desk, connected to a bookshelf. To your right, there is a green and white checked sofa. Then is a bunk bed. I sleep on the bottom. It is cold sometimes to fall asleep, because there are no sheets. Sometimes it is hard to wake us, because I still have jetlag. In front of the bunk bed is a TV on a sort of book shelf with tons of movies. I like my room, because it is a nice quiet area with a window; it's a good place to run away to. I spend a lot of time making it my own. My thoughts are that I will always enjoy having a room of my own for this period while we are here. I will tell you about the rest of the house later. God be with you, and I hope He is with me too.

8 comments:

Steve, Grace, Joshua, Anna said...

Hi Lydia! We will be thinking and praying for your family. We are so encouraged by your faith in God and by your willingness to be used by Him. We have linked your blog onto ours, and if you want to see pictures of Joshua, visit our blog: graceandsteve.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Steve, Grace and Joshua

suenosdejulio said...

Hi, Lydia. I'ts Angela and I'm looking at your blog just like I told you I would. Wow, Russia sounds amazing, even if it is very different from America. I really admire you for being able to do that, because quite honestly I don't think I could. Sorry about the dirtiness of the apartment, but I'm glad the actual part you live in is clean. I miss you bunches and bunches. And bunches. In time your Russian will be so good, you'll come back here and try to speak Russian to me and I will just look at you like this o_0 ????? You are a wonderful person, Lydia. Take care and I'll talk to you soon.
Lots of love from,
Angela

Amara said...

Hello there Lydia! I'm so glad I met you before you left. Now I can keep up with you and pray for you. Your apartment sounds like some of the places I've stayed before in Russia. The hallway and stairs definitely sounded familiar. I love your blog, and you are doing a great job with it. Keep relying on the Lord, the author and finisher of our faith.
Love,
Miss Amara

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lydia! We miss you and think of our cross country journey following each other's van when we left MTI. We definitely understand how you feel. Things here in Kenya are so different than how they were in the US. Some days are amazing and some are sad. Just remember that we love you from across the ocean!

sara anne thomas said...

Dear Precious Lydia,
We were very interested in your description of how things have started off in Russia. We knew it would not be easy for you at first, but we also knew that you would have faith that God will be with you as you adjust to a new life. It won't be long until you are right at home and will have many new friends.
The trip to Austria and Hungary sounds so exciting. You are so lucky to be able to go there to see the beauty and wonderful historic places. Very few little girls your age get to do such things. We will look forward to hearing all about it when your return to St. Petersburg.
Give your brothers and parents a big hug for us. We love you,
Grandma and Grandpa Thomas

August 18, 2007

Anonymous said...

wow lidya those flowers r gorgeous ur now the screen on my new computer!with all that ur doing and trying to appapte to ur surrondings, just remember god put u there for a reason

Anonymous said...

hay the one right upove this was me, Ella

Lydia said...

You guys's support is amazing. Thanks!