Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tied up at the moment

Being tied up at the moment doesn't mean up in strings; it can mean other things too. In my case, I'm tied up about home issues. Right now, I want to see my friends, but also I want to stay here longer. I want to be able to be at home sometimes. But I don't have a good home. My home isn't Russia; my home isn't America. So how am I supposed to know which home is mine. I have a sinking suspicion that once I go back to America, that I'm not going to want to leave, and that once I get back to Russian I'm not going to want to go back to America either. The homiest place I feel now is when I am going to bed and when I'm with God. The tied up issue comes in when I don't know which home is mine, so I'm tied up about my home, even as odd as it sounds. You'd think that since I'd been in America longer than Russia, I'd want to be in America more. But no, that isn't the case. I might go so far as to say that I don't know which country I belong to.

At church, two families with kids around my age have come to Russia a few months ago. Now, believe me, I don't hold a grudge against them for coming, and I'm not mad at them for coming. I just feel a little awkward, because you'd expect me to want to hang out with them more than the Russians, but I tend to want to hang out more with the Russians. I sort of sometimes wish that my family was the only Americans there, because it was easier to handle things. Now that there are two new (American) girls in my class, the Russian girls see that I have someone to talk to, so it gets frustrating when the Americans try to be with me, when I want to be with the other girls.

The only problem is that the girls whom I am with at, say, art school, don't accept me as a friend, so I'm often lonely. (Russians have a problem with this, so it's typical, but that's not my point here.) My point is, I'm not recognized as who I want to be. I want to be recognized as a Russian.

Now that it's winter, I don't see the kids who live in my dvor as much as in the summer, except for one girl from the next dvor, Zhenya, who is being over-consistent with me. She will come over any day she doesn't have too much homework. The problem with that is that she has started to consider me her best friend, and told me so, and I don't consider her a best friend because she usually want everything in her control, and everything her way, and if I'm not able to play, then she will beg and beg and beg until my parents give us about a half an hour for play, and then when that time runs out, she will beg and beg and beg for another half an hour. I've been trying to get her to see that I can play with her all the time, but she is sort of not understanding.

Please pray for me in these situations, that I would feel at home in both places and recognized as who I want to be. And pray that I learn perseverance through the trials I have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

I never really had a place to call home either. Although I have lived in America all my life, I moved so many times in America that no place was really home. I went to 13 different schools in 12 years and that was before college. I wouldn't worry about being recognized as Russian or American. You are uniquely Lydia who is equally at home in either country. I think that's special.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lydia,

You know that is one of the most profound pieces of thought leadership that I have read in the recent past! And we share the same story - where is home? My guess is that you cannot stand in the past and you cannot stand in the future either - it is only this moment when you can actually stand. That is home for me. And I try to take the full breath of life while standing. As far as praying for who you want to be, I rather praise the Lord for who you are!

Love,

David (from Dubai)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lydia,
We are consistently amazed at your maturity and balanced outlook, and at how well you write! We also understand some of what you're going through. You have probably realized that God IS your best friend, and will be no matter where you turn up. Perhaps if you can focus on him, the day-to-day hassles with earthly friends may seem less troublesome.
We love you and pray for you always!

Love, Bill and Karen

Anonymous said...

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL

The Herd said...

I know how you like to be in Russia when you are America and you want to be America when you are in Russia. It is a little funny but I feel the same way.
Katie