Monday, April 12, 2010

An honorary 6th grader - forever

Two weeks ago my class (the 5th grade) went to see Alice in Wonderland, the new movie. It was made by the same creator as another movie that was very scary. My parents didn't want me to see it, and I didn't want to either. We called Tatiana Vladimirovna, 2nd in charge, and asked if I could attend the 6th grade for a day. And since I had always wanted to be in the 6th grade, but couldn't, even though I am in the 6th grade by American reckoning, I was overjoyed that I would be in my dream class. My best friend is in the 6th grade, and the kids are more of my maturity level.

That day I had so much fun. But on Saturday, I cried, knowing that I would have to go back to immature 5th grade. The 5th grade didn't fit me, and the kids have not been nice to me, and it wasn't getting better, except maybe a teensy weensy bit. Not a lot of people get along, even though there isn't a lot of people. In the 6th grade, even though they may have little spats, they are all the same underneath and all act the same. The 5th graders are so different from each other that when they get in fights, they don't get resolved easily. I wasn't very much liked there. Not that I wanted to be, but I just wanted to be one of the 5th graders. (How do you blend in in such a small classroom? In a large class, there are more people with whom you can find a fit.) Anya is in the 5th grade, and she is not with Anita, remember? And there is Galya, who never treats me well. The girls ignore me, unless I do something accidentally to Galya, and then she gets all huffy. And then the 3 boys, who normally I don't talk with. They tease me most of the time, and the make fun of the teacher and yell at her, and I have seen one of them make a face at here directly behind her back. 

I talked with Dad, and tried to explain that I wanted to be in the 6th grade. I wanted him to at least understand and talk with the directors. He said he would pray about what to say, and I was subdued for the moment, glad that I had at least gotten it out there. Either way, even if I hadn't been put in the 6th grade, I would have been flexible and would have cheerfully stayed in the 5th grade. I think He was saying, you are going to have to trust me, no matter what. 

Actually Dad didn't have to do anything. The next Thursday, the 2nd and 3rd grade took a field trip to a children's home, and me and Mom and Dad were invited. Another mother was there who had asked me once why I didn't hang out with the other 5th graders. I had explained that I fit with the 6th graders better. She brought this up with Tatiana Vladimirovna. That's when the miracle happened. Tatiana Vladimirovna spoke up and said that she agreed as well. So without Dad even saying anything, I all of a sudden found myself the next day in the 6th grade. The night before, I was so excited, I could barely go to bed. 

I felt like God was saying, "you trusted me."

3 comments:

Heather said...

Lydia,
What a great piece! I'm proud of you for so many reasons :)
Mrs. Ives

Michael said...

Congratulations, Lydia!

"I thank God through Jesus for you! People everywhere keep telling me about your life of faith, and every time I hear, I thank him. You need to know, that thanking God over and over for you is a pleasure. Your faith is growing phenomenally; your love is developing wonderfully. Why, it’s only right that I give thanks. We’re so proud of you; you’re so steady and determined in your faith despite all the hard times that have come down on you. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when He returns. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your heart as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is for you. Don't worry about a thing; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your heart and mind as you live in Jesus. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within you, to accomplish infinitely more than you might ask or think."

Bless you Lydia!

Love Mike and Marlyce

(from Philippians, Romans, and 2 Thessalonians)

Mr. Kennedy said...

Hey Lydia,
I am both proud of you, and happy for you at the same time. Your faith, perseverence in difficult circumstances with joy, and love for God are an inspiration to any christian serious about their walk with Christ.
Scott and the Kennedy clan