Friday, October 5, 2007

Feelings.

I've only been here a couple months, and I still feel that things are hard on me. I don't know the language very well, and so it's very hard on me when some Russian kids comes up to me and says something. "Ya nee ponimayu" is the only way I can answer ("I don't understand"), but little kids don't even understand what I mean. They just keep repeating themselves. It's tiring because they don't understand that I can't speak their language. When that happens, I can't do much. I have to just give up sometimes. The help I need is for me to learn the language fast, to speak like them. That's my only prayer - that someday I will be able to understand. So please be praying for me.

My neighborhood is more quiet than where we were when we first arrived, but it's not like what I really miss in Virginia. Tramvais (street cars) and cars just rush by my window. Bright lights shine in my room. I don't like it. Sometimes I hate Russia. When two people speaking in Russian walk by, I want to say, "be quiet." When babushkas tell me things and scold me, I want to say, "buzz off." The other day at a museum when me and my friend were looking at a mosaic and doing nothing wrong, a lady who is a guard came by and said something in Russian, and I had no idea what she said. We were doing what everybody else was. We weren't stepping on it or hurting the mosaic. I didn't like it. For the rest of our time in that room, she watched us like an owl and a hawk. I was angry. I wanted to shout in Russian, "What did we do? We did nothing!" She watched us like we were uncontrolled little babies let loose. I wish I could understand the Russians.

My feelings here and on and off. I wish some things were easy. When I first got here, I was happy and excited. I wanted to try new foods. Now it's just plain boring, sad, and gloomy, and I don't feel at home. It's frustrating also because I can't read; I can't speak, and I can't understand their traditions. Do you know what they believe? When I tell you this, you will be in utter shock. To those of you who have had babies, please don't take this personally, but they believe that if you sit on the floor either in a house or outside on the ground, or in a car or anything, you will not have a baby. Isn't it amazing what they believe? That's a really really weird thing to believe, and I don't get it.

Down near the Neva river, you see lots of brides and limousines everywhere, because there is a statue of Peter the Great, and their tradition is to go see it on their wedding day in their nice clothes and everything. I don't get why they have to go see him, of all people.

Please pray for me that I will feel at home and be able to learn and speak the language.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lydia, I think you and your family are very brave to undertake this work for the Lord. I will join you in your prayers for help in learning the language. As time goes by I know you will find new friends and new adventures. May God richly bless you.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Lydia,
It says "Anonymous," but this is Karen in Cedartown. I understand exactly how you feel. When Bill and I lived in Germany, I struggled, too, trying to understand the German language and the German people. I had to teach English in a German middle school, but I knew nothing about how the German school system worked.
I never felt like people knew who I really was, because I couldn't speak German well enough with them.
I also had times when I felt sad and lonely, especially when the excitement of being there wore off.
When I felt this way, I realized that I was on a great adventure. I was like an explorer in an unfamiliar world, and my job was to learn all I could about the strange new universe I was in.
Why don't you email me? Everything you do now is interesting to me. Tell me about what some of your experiences have been. I look forward to hearing all about YOUR adventures!

Love,

Karen

Anonymous said...

Lydia, thank you for being so honest about your feelings. I've never had an experience quite like yours but I know that if I were to, I would feel many of the same things. Best of all, our LORD understands better than we do. He loves the very thought of you and will meet every need...in His time. In the meantime, He is using all of this for your good and His glory. That I know! Keep us posted as you walk on this journey. We are praying for all of you...and your new Russian "family". Suzanne Byrd (swimming pool lady in Cedartown)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia, You certainly are having a difficult time right now. As I read your message, it made me think of two different times in my life. When I was 19 years old, I enlisted in the Marine Corps. When I got to boot camp, everybody was yelling at me. It started around the tinme I got off the bus and ended about 13 weeks later when I graduated. I wish I couldn't understand them. I knew absolutley for sure that they were angry with me. Your friend says that you are having new adventures. They are right. You might not appreciate it now, (I didn't appreciate it when I was in boot camp), but someday you will. You can look back and say, "That was a very difficult time in my life and I was still faithful to my God." Many people say they love God but they are never really tested. The other time in my life was the first time I went to Slovakia. I couldn't understand anyone and the policemen at the airport looked like they thought I was a smuggler or something. I was offended because I used to be a policeman and they should have liked me. But you know, I just had to grin and bear it. It didn't get any nicer with the policeman, but I did eventually make new friends in Hermanovce. I'm glad I didn't get so discouraged that I never went back because now some of my best friends are in Slovakia. I prayed for you this morning. I prayed that God will help you with the language and that He will help you to feel more at home so you can enjoy this special experience.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lydia, I am so sorry that you're having a hard time in Russia. I know you're going to make new friends and learn their language very soon. We're praying for you. Come and visit me some time.
Your Best Friend,
Stephanie Thompson

Anonymous said...

Dear Lydia, I know you are having a hard time in Russia, but always remember that God is with you. And remember, youre friend Brittany is praying for you. I think of you a lot and of your family. Psalm 23
Love, Brittany Thompson