Sunday, November 4, 2007

My Hermitage Visit

For a field trip, my mom took me to the Hermitage that was the Winter Palace for the tsars in St. Petersburg. Now it is an art museum. We were going to look at the paintings. From the outside the Hermitage is green and designed with gold patterns. Inside the courtyard was a tiny park surrounded by gravel. When I walked into the courtyard, I felt like I was exploding with excitement.

Inside I walked up a luxurious staircase after I got my ticket. Red carpets on the stairs made the stairs grand. The railing had been created of the finest wood and were just as magnificent as the steps that were made of marble. I felt like a queen. I loved going up the stairs.

Then I saw a room that had red walls. Hung on them were pictures of Catherine's generals. Catherine the Great knew all her generals by name. And in that room were hundreds of portraits -- one for each general. I think that it would have been hard for her to remember their names. They all looked the same because most had the same sideburns and short hair. Most of them wore a grumpy expressions. The room was as big as three big playgrounds.

At the end of my stay, I was overwhelmed with the beauty of the entire Hermitage. When I go again, I want to see the Egyptian part because the mummies and coffins are there. As I left, my eyes were round with seeing so many pretty things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lydia! It sounds like you have seen some amazing things! What a treat to be able to see so many wonderful historical sights. I enjoy reading your blog and we are still praying that you begin to feel more settled in. Love,
Mrs. Yarger

Unknown said...

How fun! I felt the same way when I visited the Palace at Versailles. It takes you back in time... :) Thanks for sharing.
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting place you went to. I would like to have gone there with you. The carpet on the stairs sounded really cool. I have been praying that kids would stop making fun of you at the playground, and that you would be able to learn the language. Love, Megan

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

I looked up some pictures of the Hermitage. It's really nice. I love the old palaces and cities of Europe.

Anonymous said...

Lydia, Your visit to the Hermitage sounds grand. You write so well I can almost see the things you write about.
I pray that you will continue to adjust to your new home. I hope you are making progress with the language.
Love,
Mrs Hester

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lydia! I sure enjoyed reading about your visit to the Hermitage. I hope I can see it some day. I'm missing you a lot, especially with the holidays coming up. We're going to Frank's tomorrow. I've been cooking since Saturday. Give everyone a kiss from me! Love, Nila

Anonymous said...

hay Lideya its me,Ella from Ceadertown im amazed at all ur acttivetes and ur pictures r relly good i luv the name of the santa cluas its hilarous well its just diffrent!


love,Ella