Friday, December 28, 2007

My Art Class





My parents have enrolled me into a new art class. It's down the street in a tiny yellow building. I can walk in about 5 minutes. The other art class I was taking at the International Academy was just crafts, and it was a Metro stop away and then 20-minute walk. I wanted a real painting art class, and I've found it just down the street. I had to buy a popka, which is a small suitcase that is very flat, and I put my painting in it so they won't get crumpled.

My teacher is Victoria Alexandrovna, a woman with long blonde hair in her 30's, I'd say. She usually wears a brown shirt and speaks a little English. She does not speak a lot with me though unless I really need it. She taught me how to use dark paints and make them look lighter without using white -- spread it around is the trick.

When I went there the first day, the teacher told my dad that the students had already wanted to be my friend. So when I got there, the students helped me and smiled at me and stood over me when I started painting. Even during the class a girl did not draw what she was supposed to, but used her pastels to draw a picture of me. Their attitudes towards me made me feel like I was appreciated. (see picture at right.)

My friends are Liza and Lyuba. Lyuba is 9, and on the first day she walked up to me and used her English. She said "Hello" and "What's your name?" and asked my age. I speak to her and everybody else in Russian.

I have painted fruit on a plate (see below), the Russian Santa Claus "Dyed Morozh" (Grandfather Frost) with his helper "Snegulyechka", and a pitcher with a cloth coming out of it and fruit around it (see top).

The session ended for break and will not come back for a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to the day when I return.

For my mom's perspective on this class, click here.

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Hi Lydia,

I love your art work and so happy you found an art class. I'm an artist too and love to paint so understand the joy of finding a little class where you can paint and have fun:) I'm originally from Cedartown and have been praying for you and your family as you all have made the big move to Russia. We adopted our little boy from Russia and are going back this spring to adopt our little girl. We don't know yet what area she will be from... but there is a possibility she will be from St. Petersburg. You and your family are special to us because of your love for orphans and desire to help others. We're very thankful you are all there. And I am praying for you all and also for you specifically Lydia .. and that you will see little gifts from God daily.
Happy painting!

Warmly,

Tricia Nelson Robinson
(your daddy might remember my brother, Brent.)
my art website: www.triciarobinson.com

Michael said...

Lydia, Hi!

I love your artwork! Looks like you've been busy, and that you are settling nicely, learning the langage, and making friends.

Is your Daddy teaching you how to do a little "withreach" on your own, or does it come naturally? Have you been discovering the hopes and dreams and the deep treasues of God in your new friends? ...I bet you are.

Let me know how its going, we'll be praying for all of you.

Love and blessings!
Mr. Mike

Anonymous said...

Hello Lydia! I hope your having a
wonderful time in St.Petersburg.

I've been having fun here.I got a new game system for christmas!And four cool games.

I like your pictures,especially the
fruit.I also like the one of yourself.

I can't wait untill I see you again,
bye!(I wish I was taller!)

Anonymous said...

lidyia its amazing what ur drawings look like



ella<3

Aunt Noel said...

Lydia,
As a fellow "artful soul" I am thrilled for you that you have found an art class you enjoy. What a fantastic experience to have in St Petersburg! You have the ability to make your own happiness every day and it looks like you have found some with this class.

I've read some of your other blogs and your travels interest me a great deal. Do you know how lucky you are to see all of these places? I work with some people who have never been out of Georgia! I've lived in many states in the US but have not been abroad. Maybe you can use your art to capture some of your favorite things from each trip! It would be good to keep a memory from each country you visit. One day, you'll be older and reflect on these days and you'll really apprecitate this opportunity that your family and God has given you-far beyond what most of us dream of!!! I know it's hard sometimes and sad at other times but I am very, very proud of you. You are doing great things.

I miss you! Hugs and kisses all around!