Sunday, December 2, 2007

My feelings, part 2. An interview with mom

Mom: Lydia, it's been two months since your blog entry on your feelings. Are your feelings about Russia different now?

Lydia: They are getting better -- very much better actually. My language is getting better, and I'm happy about that.

Mom: Before, you could only say "I do not understand". What kinds of things can you say now?

Lydia: Oh, lots. I can discuss where I live and what Metro station I'm at. I'm learning words for clothing and furniture. You might even say I can talk with other kids now. Better than before.

Mom: What do you think is helping you the most in your language?

Lydia: Well, for one thing, I take a dance class. Even though an American is teaching it, she does speak Russian sometimes, and going to church and listening to Russians speaking also helps my language. Today at church I was walking from one class to another, and I got to talk with a girl. I'm pleased to say that I understood almost everything she said.

Mom: Dad and I invited somebody each week to help you. Can you describe those experiences?

Lydia: My teacher is called Nastya. Every Monday night she comes. I get to go out on walks with her, and we talk and draw, which she likes to do and so do I. When she comes, she doesn't bring a workbook; we talk and play. No sweat.

Mom: What kind of games do you play with Nastya?

Lydia: We play games like Uno, only I have to do it by saying the colors and numbers in Russian. Every time we play hide and seek. I have to count in Russian too. We always count to 40 or something like that. Most of the time we get to draw, which is what I like the best. It's kind of like a double class -- art and Russian.

Lydia with Nastya at our computer. Nastya is a Harbor graduate. See our newsletters for more about The Harbor.


Mom: What are some of your frustrations?

Lydia: Sometimes my frustrations are being in crowded places, which I'm not used to, like in the Metro. And it is also tough to get from one place to another when the snow blows in your face. I guess you could say that even though my language gets better, my feelings do not. Some days are good; some days are not.

Mom: What's a bad day like?

Lydia: On a bad day, I feel gloomy and mopey. It feels like my room is crowded with thoughts of home. It's very hard sometimes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was praying that God show me what to pray for this month for you all....what HE would have me pray for.

Sweet Lydia---I found my anwer is you...please know that you are being prayed for every day this month of September from a" Mom" in Virginia.

Bless you.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

oh gosh.... not september! duh!

December....lol !


argh!!! ( smile )
Barbara

Larry said...

Lydia,

My name is Larry. I've been in contact wit your Dad. I am moving over there in July with my family.

I like reading your blog. My son is around your age and reading your blog helps me think of ways to try and help him adjust to the change of pace in the lifestyle there.

Thank you for your honesty. I am praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lydia,

It's good to know what's going on with you, and how you are adjusting to a new country. Learning a new language must be really hard. That, and meeting new friends, and a new home, is a lot to do all at once. I really admire how strong you are being, and I am proud of what you are accomplishing. God is going to use you in amazing ways, ways that you can't see yet. Keep up the good work!

I miss you!

Cindy Rose

Anonymous said...

Hey Lydia,

My mom and I have been reading your blog. I like your dance pictures. I can't believe you didn't like turkey. I love turkey. Well, I love my Gran's turkey, at least.

Merry Christmas.

Love, Gabby