Sunday, December 2, 2007

My dance class

Recently I joined a liturgical dance class. If you're wondering what "liturgical dance" means, I will explain. "Liturgical dance" praises God with movement. Back in the States I used to perform with any group called His Handmaids. I feel very grateful that I'm able to participate in this dance class because I miss my old dance.



The group is practicing for a Christmas program at my church and another one at the school where my brothers attend, which is also run by my church. Dance class meets every Wednesday and Friday on the first floor of the school at the end of the hall. It's an hour long, but it seems very short. The class has girls from age seven to twelve and a little older. It includes some boys, but they are usually from seven and younger.


The teacher is an American lady who cannot speak a lot of Russian. For once I get to understand better than any of the other students. The lady is named Pam, and she is in Russia to visit her daughter who is expecting a baby. In the meantime, she started the dance class. My Russian is growing there because Russian is being spoken all around me.

At the beginning of dance class, we warm up by doing dance moves like sitting on the ground with our feet together and fluttering them or we lying our bellies and reaching around to grab our ankles. Dancing the songs and practicing them comes after the warm up. We stop and start frequently to get the moves perfect. I enjoy this dance class. I'm looking forward to the performances because I have enjoyed dancing in front of other people and in the class.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lydia,

My daughter is a freshman at JMU majoring in dance---she has been dancing since she was 4 years old!

She and another group of girls ( some dance majors---some simply young Christian women with a heart for liturgical dance!) are going to hopefully start a new club on the campus---a club that meets to worship the Lord with dance!

There are many rules and hoops that the girls have to follow and jump through before their hope becomes a reality and I am praying that they are successful ---their desire is for it to start next semester, so keep them in your prayers!
( my daughter's name is Joanna)

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Tyson Sieger said...

It’s really beautiful to see that you are finding different and unique ways of expressing your faith. Dancing is definitely a great way to do it. It’s one way of giving back to Him whom gave you your talent and passion for dance and movement in the first place. I hope you’re still dancing for Him these days!